Lost Limbs Foundation

Saturday, July 13, 2013

The Mayan Ruins of Becan

Just beyond the Quintana Roo-Campeche state line, 6 kilometers west of the town of Xphil, are the Mayan ruins of Becan. Becán was "discovered" by archaeologists Karl Ruppert and John Denison in 1934. The name, which means trench, was given to Becán by Ruppert and Denison who named it after the conspicuous system of moats that surrounds significant portions of the site. The ancient Maya name is not known. From 1969 to 1971 archaeological excavations were made at Becán sponsored by Tulane University and the National Geographic Society. Becán was the political, economical and religious capital of the province known today as Rio Bec to which the sites of Xpuhil, Chicanna, Puerto Roci, Okolhuitz, Channa and Ramonal belong. It is strategically located at the base of the Yucatan Pennisula on the route which unites the river and lagoon zone of southwestern Campeche, with the territories of Chetumal Bay. The sites in the Peten Region are found to the south of Becán. And to the north are the Chenes (wells) settlements in the northeastern Campeche, with whom Becán also had relations. The earliest archaeological evidence from Becán dates from 550 B.C. period, a time when the Olmec culture was declining at sites such as La Venta in Tabasco. The Apogee at Becán, reflected in the construction peak and the population density, took place bewteen 600 and 800 A.D. Becán was abandoned around 1200 A.D. — The Ancient Mayan City of Becán (17 photos)