History and Hauntings in : Chicago ,Illinois, U.S.A For Robin Weddell Oak Woods Cemetery History Oak Woods Cemetery was established in 1854; it covers an area of 74 hectares (183 acres) and is located at 1035 E. 67th Street in Chicago. The first burials took place in 1860. Soon after the American Civil War, between four and six thousand Confederate soldiers, prisoners who died at Camp Douglas, were buried here. These bodies had originally been buried at City Cemetery but were exhumed and reburied together in a mass grave at recently opened sections of Oak Woods, when Chicago decided to close its former cemetery and convert part of it to Lincoln Park. A monument known as the Confederate Mound was erected in their memory.