Lost Limbs Foundation

Sunday, March 17, 2013

Rachel Black at Bartonville Illinois

But there is a long history behind this sad and forlorn place.... a history that is filled with social and medical reform, insanity and yes, even ghosts. Construction on the first buildings here actually began in 1885 and were completed in 1887. The hospital, when completed, resembled a medieval castle with battlements and turrets. It was a foreboding structure and one not fit for the kind of progressive medicine that was planned for it. Despite the huge costs involved in building it, it was never used and was torn down in 1897. The reason for the demolition was given as structural and design flaws. According to early reports, the castle-like building had been constructed over an abandoned coal mine and wide cracks were beginning to appear in the walls. The decay was believed to be caused by the collapsing of the old mine shafts. Hospital staff Members in 1903 In 1902, the hospital would reopen with Dr. George A. Zeller, a pioneer in mental healt...Continue Reading— BARTONVILLE ASYLUM (16 photos)